Sunday, December 9, 2012

Turns Out I Can Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound


Today's weather reminds me of the snowstorm we got a couple years ago. That morning we woke up to about eight inches of snow, with another twelve to fourteen expected by the end of the day. Since we knew we'd be stuck in the house all day, the boyfriend and I decided to venture out for supplies (pizza and vodka). We were lucky we left when we did. Even though it was only noon, the market (and almost all the other businesses in the neighborhood) was closing due to the weather.

When we got back, we brushed the snow off of ourselves, looking forward to warming up on the couch with a toddy and some blankets. One problem: we had accidentally locked ourselves out of the condo. There we stood with our groceries and no place to go. The roads were treacherous and everything (including locksmiths) was closed. We were screwed.

We couldn't just spend the day in our hallway. One of us was going to have to do something. Since the boyfriend is afraid of heights, I knew it had to be me. I knocked on our neighbor's door and asked if I could borrow her balcony. Then, in the middle of a blizzard, I climbed on top of her railing, took a deep breath, and hopped over to our balcony.

This is what I saw when I looked down:

Six stories. Eek.


And yes, I looked down. And I totally pictured myself bouncing like a ping pong ball between the balconies all the way down. I just kept telling myself it was like being on MTV's Real World/Road Rules Challenge. And made sure I ignored the part about how those people wear harnesses and usually compete over water instead of concrete and metal.


No comments: