Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Did PBS Damage Me Psychologically?


I didn't get to watch a lot of Mr. Rogers when I was little. I guess my mom found him unbearably annoying, so we weren't really allowed to watch it. All I can remember about the few episodes I did see is that there was some sort of a puppet king and he was terrifying. Like, I recall getting really anxious when I knew the trolley was approaching the king's stop along the route.

As an adult I also found the king from Burger King terrifying. Those commercials were straight up unsettling. The stuff of nightmares, practically.

I must have some deep rooted phobia that's carried through from my childhood. Unfortunately, I don't really have a lot of experience in animated kings beyond those two, so this can't really be verified. But just to be safe, I'm going to align with my mom against Mr. Rogers. I don't care if he is dead. Wait, he's dead, right?



No comments: