Friday, May 24, 2013

Surprise, Bitches!


Today is my birthday, which means it was exactly 29 years ago that my mom had what was probably the weirdest day of her life.

It was a little past noon and she had just given birth to my sister. She told her doctor and nurses that she felt like she was still in labor, but they assured her that was normal and nothing to worry about. See, I come from a really small town where, apparently even as late as 1984, ultrasounds were a new-fangled devil technology that was mostly unheard of, so none of them knew that my mother was actually pregnant with twins and was indeed still in labor.

And so, for approximately an hour and a half, the hospital staff continued to shush my mom as she kept insisting that she felt like she was having another baby. Until they finally decided to take a look to appease her and were all, "Oh, yeah, you're totally having another baby."

And that is how I threw a sort of backwards surprise birthday party for my family.

Mom has since told me that while she loves me dearly and wouldn't change a thing, that moment was the scariest thing that had ever happened to her. Which is totally fair. Two babies when you were only expecting one would leave you feeling pretty ill-prepared. They actually had to take two trips home from the hospital because they only had one car seat. I probably would have given up right then.


No comments: